Mind the toves. They can be a bit slithy. Don't even get me started on the borogoves.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

LCD menu is working!

My latest struggle with the PID project has been getting the LCD menu system to work right. I was able to get the basic readout, showing temp, target temp, machine uptime, and heat power pretty easily. But I wanted to have a way to change the target, show the PID internal values, enter a standby mode, and adjust backlight level. I put some plain buttons in my project box and got them to work with the Arduino no problem, but getting the menus to work how I wanted has been trickier.

Not being a programmer, debugging has been a nightmare. I kept running into bizarre problems and having no idea where they were coming from. So I basically rewrote my LCD code. I also found a proper way to debounce my buttons and avoid double-presses. So now everything is working!

My next goal for this project is to attach a relay or sensor to the steam switch so I can have the PID control steaming temp, and the same for the brew switch, so I can tweak the control values during brewing and maybe put in a cute little little brewhead light so I can see what's going in the cup better. And also add a shot clock (just a readout, not actually turning off the brew process.) And I think after that, I may be done!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do you have the code / schematics for the complete(ish?) PID project?

I am very interested in setting up something similar!